Monday, November 7, 2011

Looking Back

When I think Texas music, I not only think of the current artists I listen to like W.C. Jameson, Mike Blakely, Thomas Michael Riley and Jake Martin to name a few, but the good ole boys like Willie Nelson, Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys. But last week, another group came to my mind and I began searching for them. They were moderate chart artists with MCA back in the early 1980's. James and Michael Younger.

If the name doesn't ring a bell, don't feel bad. A lot of people don't recognize them. But they were two of my favorite people - well, their entire band, The Younger Brothers (until a conflict with another band came about). Nothing But the Radio On was one of their bigger songs. Country station call-letters were dubbed into the lyrics on records (remember those) sent out to radio stations across the country.

I first met the guys in Baton Rouge LA in 1982 at a little place called Texas Dance Hall. Always having a knack for getting back stage, the guys gave me a brief interview. I wrote articles on the guys for local papers where ever they were to perform and caught them on the road several times over the course of their career.

Then I put my budding freelance career on hold to be a full-time mom and the guys dropped off the recording radar soon after. Often times over the past twenty years I've wondered 'where are they now?'. I even played a couple songs of theirs to Mike Blakely because his music reminded me a lot of them. James (Williams) Younger and Mike Blakely are both extremely talented song writers and their styles are similar. I thought it would be cool if I could get them together sometime. I'm still waiting.

So last week I did the Google thing again. This time I came up with a lead. Not only did I find James and Michael but that they had a Texas music life before MCA picked them up as a country band.

For now, I'll leave you with this thought and see if it rings a bell...

The Playboys of Edinburg (Texas, not Scotland).

Country Blessings
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment