Monday, May 1, 2017

OUT OF THE CHUTE - Abraham Weaver

 We're kicking off May very wet here in the Ozarks. I wrote this up at the hotel in Springfield last night, not knowing whether or not I could still get down our road. Flooding here has been incredible.



Coming out of the gate this week is Abraham Weaver. I reviewed his YOURS CD a couple of years ago. You can check it out HERE.

I'll be reviewing his new album - LOST AND FOUND - tomorrow so this time I thought I'd introduce you to this talented man from Austin as a precursor to another stellar project.

Here we GO!



Thank you, Abraham for taking the time to answer these questions on a quick turn-around. 

More of a Curiosity Question:
On the album, YOURS you had the title track as the final listing. You did the same with LOST and FOUND. Any reason for placing the title track at the end? Or is this just how this EP came to me? 
The last track is my favorite track, Garth once made a comment that on each of his records he purposely placed his favorite track last. So when I recorded my first record I did the same and will continue to do so.

1 – Lost and Found has a more up-beat tempo than YOURS. What was your thought process in
how this album would have its own individuality? 
When writing and choosing songs for this EP I wanted a more Texas country rock feel, “Yours” was an all acoustic sound with the only non acoustic instrument was the bass guitar. The new EP gives a full band sound to try and compete with our Texas country feel

2 – Early in your career you opened for some amazing talents. If you could pinpoint one thing
      That was most valuable piece you gained from those openings, what would it be?
To treat everyone from the road crew to the artists with the same respect! Years ago I was fortunate enough to open for Chris LeDoux, want to talk about an amazing person… he would have given me the shirt off his back.

3 – In YOURS I heard the PA musical influences. What prompted the time in PA and how did
            That time enrich what you were already doing musically? 
PA was quite an experience for me coming from Texas, it moved me completely out of my comfort zone. Playing venues in the northeast is quite different than Texas. I started playing a lot more of my 80’s rock influences as well as tunes by Lady Gaga and Pink.

4 – I know Garth Brooks was one of your biggest influences. What was it about ‘The Dance’ that resonated with you? And how does that carry over into your music? 
Wow The Dance… what an amazing song, this musical lifestyle is not an easy one to say the least but it’s in the blood and as the song say’s I could have missed the pain, but I’d had to miss the dance. No matter how difficult the road may get, I’d rather dance!!

5 – Rick Orozco is a recurring name on your last two releases. What was it about I Know A
      Memory When I See One that brought it to this album? 
Rick Orozco is my vocal hero and I am lucky enough to call him my friend, he wrote “I know a memory when I see one” with Randy Goodrum (One of the worlds greatest songwriters) he knows me on a personal level and knew what my life was going through when he pitched it to me and have to say between “Lost and Found” and it, describe my life to a T. When it comes to writing or picking songs to put on a record it’s a very emotional process. Most might not realize it but as artists we put our hearts right out there!!

6 – Lost and Found seems to have a bit more contemporary sound to some of the tracks, without losing the Americana feel. How do you walk that line of staying in your roots while attracting a new generation?
That is a difficult part, I’ve recorded from my heart and in the end hope that people will not only appreciate my song choices and voice but that they will resonate with others in this crazy industry I chose.

7 – Stepping back in time a bit – What do you feel was the most beneficial prize from the 2015
            Texas Star Austin Award? 
The title it’s self was the most beneficial.  Capturing that title helped open up a lot of doors for me in the local Austin Texas scene.

8-  How do you want to grow musically in the next five years? 
This is a tough business to be in especially in Austin, I hope to continue to make my mark in this industry and continue making records.

Tomorrow, I'll review Abraham Weaver's latest EP. In the mean time, I invite you to check out his WEBSITE



No comments:

Post a Comment