Monday, March 19, 2012

Entertainer of the Year nominees - the list begins


Because we are on the final countdown to Saturday night’s festivities, I’m going to spotlight the nominees for Entertainer of the Year.

This does not mean there isn’t awesome talent in the other categories. There are! And as this blog grows and I’m able to get into the nominees earlier, my ultimate goal is to give every one of them their turn at the Country Angel Spotlight. For now, let’s begin this week’s roll call in the order by which they are posted on the Texas Music Awards nominees’ page.

Today, we’re talking about Mike Blakely. Y’all know how I feel about Mike. He has been a dear friend for over twenty years, long before I realized what a pull Texas music had for me. By spotlighting Mike today, I’m also going to be able to touch on some of the nominees in other categories because Mike has worked with so many of them over the years.

Let’s start with the fact he has worked with nearly every veteran in the Texas music industry. In fact, he has worked with two out of his four competitors for this award. Pauline Reese served up harmony vocals on the Ghost Town Council CD… a compilation of several multi-talented artists. The other is his buddy, John Arthur Martinez. Mike and John have co-written together several times and were up for Vocal Duo in 2008 for their ‘Blakely- Martinez’ album.

Another from the list is Jeff Posey. Jeff is nominated for the Academy Award of Distinction for the Mighty Rider album.

Growing up, my mom always told me “you’re judged by the company you keep.” If that’s true, than Mike is keeping company with some of the best in the business and is being judged accordingly by repeatedly joining them on the Texas Music Award nominations list.

Country Blessings, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment