Tuesday, April 27, 2021

TURNTABLE TUESDAY - The Gulf Between Us

 


Good morning, friends!

I introduced you to Craig Cummings yesterday. Today, we're giving his new album a listen. THE GULF BETWEEN US is Craig's fifth album and if this is any indication of what the previou four were like, we are in for a real treat down the road.


Here's what Craig told us yesterday about how this album came together:
When I wrote the title song, I knew right away that the subject matter of that song was going to be the theme for an album. A light just went off! Subsequent to that I was in AZ and took a trip to the border wall to see for myself what it was about…to get a feel for it. That and some reading I did spawned the songs Momma and Me, The Southern Wall, and Like Thieves.  The remaining songs were written as I asked myself, “What are some of the other things that keep people apart.” I decided failed relationships and the passing of loved ones were also major factors. All of that went into the songs on the album.

I love how a spark of an idea can ignite an inferno of possibilities.

I'm not breaking this album down by track like I normally do. What I do hope you'll hear is the amazing flow in the melody. with the gulf breeze as a backdrop, Craig takes us down to the wall, giving us a visual of what is really going on there. While I try not to get political, I am heartbroken by the single phrase in track 2- The Southern Wall, 'innocents running from the law'.  

Our ancestors were once innocents just like those people looking for a better life. We are a diverse nation, we love ethnic foods - even those we think are American foods are steeping in other traditions and flavors. 

Because Craig Cummings made me FEEL and to soul search, I'm tipping my hat:

 


You can catch up with him via the following social media links:


This review sparked an editorial I'll be posting soon. I hope you'll come back and read.

Country Blessings
~ Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment