Tuesday, August 20, 2019

TURNTABLE TUESDAY - Red Crow


I seem to have gotten lost in this album so much so I realized just a few moments ago I'd not posted my review. 




As I read through the notes from Randy about RED CROW, giving me an insight to each of the tracks, I had to wonder… How could someone who’s been so disillusioned by various aspects of life over the course of his years make those moments so beautiful? Trust the Sun captures this perspective as only a talented songwriter such as Randy is capable of. The other thing I find magical about this album is that Randy Lewis Brown’s vocal abilities belie his age. If there is such a thing as an ‘old soul’ in a young man, than Randy is the reverse. This nuance lends a stronger meaning to I’m Not Ready Yet.

October Again is a haunting melody capturing the darkness of a painful memory. Close your eyes and watch the colored leaves become the death of summer like you’ve never seen them before.

One Horse Town is a picture-perfect example of small town life... whether we want to escape from, come back to, or never leave from the beginning, there's a familiarity most of us can relate to.

With the steel guitar as well as the lilt of the lyrics, She’s the Only Woman, co-written with Terry Klein, came out just as they’d hoped. If you like the older country with a bit of Beatles for seasoning this tune will have you seeing your wife in a fresh light and tapping your toes.

The title track, Red Crow, was inspired by a painting by Jenny Joyce… the same of which is now the album cover. Randy brings images from his mind to life. If you listen, you can hear the slight flutter of wings as the crow takes flight.

I love how Randy tells a story within a story such as he’s done in Any Old Train. Like a parallel universe, he takes you down two journeys at once.

As I stated in my interview yesterday, Above Timberline pulled at memories for memories. I’m planning a trip back to my home state of Colorado and look forward to smelling the lichen-covered rocks, pine and seeing the beauty of the Aspens. Whether you’ve ever been there or not, Randy has the capability of making you feel at home in the beauty of the Rockies.

With a hint of Native American tones, Other Campfires will stir the ashes of your soul.

The simplicity of Good Old Days mimics the time, regardless of what that time period is, most of us wish we could revisit.

Barlow Road is an outstanding example of how our past, while far from perfect is just that… a part of our heritage. This track tells a sad tale from the historic stretch of what was originally part of the Oregon Trail. Randy gives us the guts of history the way the stories should be told.

Here's a video from the title track:


The continuity of this album is perfect in every way. While four of the tunes have co-writers (Randy Palmer, Terry Klein, Richard Paul Thomas, and Jim Gilmore), they are his stories. Others lending their talents to the album Merel Bregante, Michael Dorian, Sarah Pierce Band, Riley Osborne, Mark Epstein Dirje Childs, and Cody Braun. I have to say if Randy Lewis Brown believes the Trouble With Me is that he thinks too much, I hope he keeps letting those wheels turn out more original tunes like these. The depth of not just the lyrics but the undercurrent of emotions attached to each one makes this one of the best albums to ever cross my desk. I'm tipping my hat....



RED CROW releases September 27th. Be sure to grab your copy.

You can find Randy on the following Social Media locations:





No comments:

Post a Comment