Monday, June 14, 2021

OUT OF THE CHUTE - Michelle and Jason Hannan

Good morning, country music fans!

Today, we're talking to Michelle and Jason Hannan. They are a husband and wife duo from Frederick Maryland and leading the group - OneBlueNight


Let's open the chute!



Let's open the chute!

Let’s start by learning a bit about each of your backgrounds. Both of you come from deep musical roots. What influenced each of your music careers from those backgrounds?

Michelle: I grew up listening to country music in the 90s, whatever was on the radio. My mom always said that I was singing before I could talk. My grandfather was the only real musician in my family and I would sit and listen to him sing and play his piano or guitar and try to pick up what I could. He’s the one who introduced me to traditional country - artists like Patsy Cline, George Jones, Merle Haggard - the stuff that influenced all of the great songs I heard in the 90s. I sang along with the radio in the car and was always playing something and singing along at home. My mom used to get out her tape recorder and record me singing along to stuff, I wish I still had those tapes! She tried to get me to sing in front of other people; I remember a Thanksgiving where I literally got under the kitchen table to sing because I was so shy! When I was a teen, my older brother had a guitar, and when he left the house I would sneak in and grab it and try to make chords. It took a while, but I finally taught myself how to accompany my singing. I got older and kind of abandoned the idea of making something of myself in music - I was extremely self-conscious. It wasn’t until I met Jason in 2014 that I actually got a chance to sing on stage. He really brought me out of my shell and helped to shape me into the musician I am today. I’m extremely lucky to have met him - both in a musical sense and in a personal sense, as we’ve been happily married for several years now!


Jason: I grew up in Mississippi and just about everybody played music down there. My father, Hal Windham, was a musician of note in the Gulf Coast music scene in the 70’s. He recorded a single with Malaco Records in 1976 that got some airplay regionally (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pyh3n1ohJM). So it was in my blood and I would just try to learn whatever instruments I could growing up. I got involved with bluegrass when I was in the military and played guitar, bass, and mandolin in several bluegrass bands up until I met Michelle and we both decided to return to our country roots. We clicked immediately vocally, more so than anyone else I’ve ever sung with. It was pretty crazy. Oh yeah, we got married too. She needs higher standards!

Concept Album.  As a writer, I love the idea of using an entire album to tell a story while at the same time, each track can stand on its own and strike a chord with any of your listeners.

Will you share with my readers the seed for the storyline came from?

Jason: I wrote a song with my daughter called “Everything I’ve Got’s in Tennessee” back about 9 years ago or so, long before this album was ever a thing. The song ended up coming together as a murder ballad. Not by design, that’s just the way it fell together. When we decided to write a concept album that song seemed like a natural starting point. Michelle rewrote the melody for it and added a verse. We built the album around that song and it ended up being the second single we released from the album. For the rest of the album we knew what plot points we needed to hit and tried to write or find songs that fleshed them out, then we added interludes to transition between the 3 acts. It was an ambitious project and we’re very pleased with how it came together.

Jason, I know you were inspired to do a concept album based on a teenage experience of hearing Willie Nelson’s Red Headed Stranger album. My question is for Michelle. What was your first thought when Jason brought the idea to you?

Michelle: I had never really paid much attention to the idea of a concept album. I can't think of many that I've heard myself, although it's possible that I have listened to one without realizing it was a cohesive work. When Jason brought it to me, it seemed like a really cool idea and it only got cooler once it started to develop. He really drove this project, and I definitely admire his creativity and drive.

Cheater’s Waltz is the story of a woman’s journey. Have you thought about flipping the coin and giving a male’s perspective?

Jason: That’s an interesting idea! There are actually a couple songs on the album that are from the guys’ perspective, both sung by me. One is “Before I Met You” and the other is “Livin’ on Barroom Time”. Taken as a whole, they don’t really present the guy in a very flattering light. He’s certainly not the hero of the story. And one of the most challenging things about writing this album (for me) was trying to write from a female perspective. I certainly wouldn’t rule out writing another concept album from a male’s perspective at some point in the future.

Michelle: An album from the perspective of the cheater would be interesting. I see the opportunity for a ghost story at the end…that could be cool!

You share a big part of the credit on this album to fellow bandmate, Howard Parker. Aside from amazing instrumental talent, what did he bring to the table?

Michelle: Howard was an integral part of the planning and execution of the album. He had some great ideas regarding arrangements, and was always receptive to us bouncing ideas off of him. Of course, he also wrote the beautiful “Loren’s Lament”, the instrumental on the album, which really helped to set the tone for the rest of the album. It’s rare to find someone who lines up so well with your own ideas and taste when you’re dealing with a lot of original music. We’re very blessed to have Howard as a bandmate and friend.

Jason: Oh man, we couldn’t have done any of this without Howard. In addition to what Michelle said, Howard is also an extremely underrated singer! He can harmonize with the best of them. You can really hear him do his thing vocally on the album’s last track, the a cappella quartet. The part he’s singing is not easy and he knocks it right out of the park!

 You had a lot of time to bring this package together. Were there any bumps along the road?

Jason: Speaking for just myself, the hardest part was the production side. This is the first album I’ve ever totally produced and mastered myself and I really had to work hard to make it sound like I wanted. I got what I wanted but I do honestly worry more about what critics will say about the production than anything else. I was very lucky because all the musicians that were involved (Michelle, Howard, Shannon Bielski on fiddle, Jim Robeson on accordion) turned in stellar performances.

I try to really get in touch with the heroines in my books. Michelle, was there anything in this story you felt you identified with?

Michelle: I think I identified most with her seemingly wild nature at the beginning of the story, especially in the first song. I’m starting to settle down though! Of course, we’ve all had heartbreak and challenges in our relationships. I can’t say I’ve ever considered murder though. That’s what I tell Jason, anyway.

When folks listen to this album, what do you hope their experience will be, or that they’ll walk away thinking…..

Jason: I just hope people are immersed in the story, that they are moved by it in some way, that it makes them feel something. If they do, I’ve gotten what I wanted out of it. It’s a rare enough thing these days, what with the direction the country music industry has gone in.


Here's the first track from their new album, Cheater's Waltz.


You will find Michelle & Jason Hannan by following any of these social media links:


I'll be back tomorrow with my review of CHEATER'S WALTZ - Releasing June 18th!

Country Blessings
~ Kelly


2 comments:

  1. Thank you Kelly, we really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for working with Adam so I had the opportunity to get to know you and Michelle ~Country Blessings

      Delete