Tuesday, June 8, 2021

TURNTABLE TUESDAY - What Keeps the Heart Afloat

 


Good morning, friends!

Today, I have WHAT KEEPS THE HEART AFLOAT on the player and man, what a nice change of pace. 


I love when I can learn something about the contents of the song from the artist. For today's review, I'm going to give you a bit of insight from Garrett about each track then my thoughts over-all at the end. 

Resolutions was written on New Years Eve. Did you know that the 'white stone' refers to a hippie church where the attendees are given a white stone on which to write their hope for the future?  I think that's a new tradition in my world. Thanks for the bit of history.

Inspired by what Garrett termed as the 'screw up' brother of the Beach Boys, Dennis. Dennis died way too young, ironically by drowning. He was extremely talented and loved the water and surfing. I did not know Dennis released a solo album - Pacific Ocean Blue. I'd love to hear that album. I loved the haunting undercurrent in this track.

Make It was inspired loosely by Einstein's theory of relativity and Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle. I live by both of these and this struck a strong chord with me. If you're a regular follower, you know I spend less time working when Bob is home. He is my anchor and I never want to miss time with him doing a 'job' I do not get paid for. As Garrett states in the song, 'some people wish they could turn back time...there is no going back... make it count'. Life is short. You can't turn back time and I never want to have a day come when I wish Bob and I would have spent more time together. 

Playing to a crowd of one has to be a bit disconcerting to an artist but Garrett saw the experience through 'new eyes' and was To Be Grateful for having even one person attend.

The Firewatch was a gift to a friend who was having a rough time. Fire is passion and passion can be either something you love deeply, or hate with all your heart. Find a new place to begin and things will be okay. Be forest and heart, we all need a fresh start and the sun will shine again.

I shared the video for Devotion with you yesterday so here's a bit of background. The Searchers (book & movie) was loosely based on the true story of Britton Johnson, a black soldier, who ventured into Comanche territory after the Civil War to rescue his family. The main searcher in the movie was played by John Wayne

We talked a bit about the Outlaw's Farewell in the Q & A with Garrett yesterday. Inspired by what is to believed to be the final words of Billy the Kid, "Quien es son esos afuera??" Literally, "who are those men outside?" (you'll find the video for this track at the bottom of this post)

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the title Prairie Doctor and the Gunman was the Dr. Quinn episode when Mikala had to treat Kid Cole, the gunman played by Johnny Cash. Brings doctor/ patient confidentiality to a whole new level long before we knew such confidence existed. I love the line, 'all your terminal plans lay with you'.

If A Hand In the Dark doesn't make you teary-eyed then I question the depth of your heart. You don't have to be a weeper to feel something - from the beginning simple string intro to the entire first line. Bob and I often joke about how we'll lead the other when the time comes but in all seriousness we know this could one day come to pass. Like the couple in the song, we are blessed to have one another... til death do us part. 

In our interview yesterday, Garrett shared that one of his influences was the great Townes Van Zandt. To Carry Rain was written as a tribute to one of the most talented men to come out of Texas, and leave a lasting legacy in the music communities. While Garrett thought about how much Townes suffered under the weight of his own sadness, he wondered if his music might not have had the depth we associated with Townes' lyrics.

Garrett's putting 2020 on the table with Jesus, What a Mess. Who else wants to agree with me that 2020 definitely stirred the pot of life and left us saying those four words?

Mustard Seed is the perfect way to wrap up this album, especially the past eighteen months. Taken from Matthew 17:20, if you have the faith of a mustard seed, you can move mountains. Regardless of your belief system, if you have enough FAITH you can get through anything... I think we've done well, don't you?


Overall, this album is one of the most enjoyable collections I've heard in a very, very long time. The purity with which Garrett Wieland delivers his lyrics; flowing from his head as he wrote them, through his soul, carrying passion to the fingertips and into the simplicity of the guitar. Garrett has only included what was required to tell his stories. His, lyrics, his heart, and the basics of instrumentation. Who could ask for anything more... or less?

I'm tiping my hat...



Here is....  Outlaw's Farewell





You will find Garrett and his music by following any of the links listed below:

Country Blessings!
~Kelly



No comments:

Post a Comment